By: Rachel Garcia
Okay!!! So FIRST THINGS FIRST…I’m totally venting! I’ve never been one to follow…I lead…or stand alone, like I am going to right now. Sergio Martinez should NOT be the fighter of the Year! Are you freaking kidding me? I’ve read so many articles and so many posts about this guy. PLEASE TELL ME WHAT DID HE DO?? He fought Kelly Pavlik OR terribly beat him where Pavlik did not have a chance.
Anyone could have been in the ring with Pavlik AND the outcome would have been the same. So, was Martinez really that impressive during that fight? Fighting a guy who looked worn out PRIOR to even getting in the ring…actually on his way to the ring, you could tell that something wasn’t right.
Moving on, the fight with Paul Williams ended with a BEAUTIFUL 2nd round knockout. BOTH Williams and Martinez were throwing blows and EITHER guy could have gone down! I will also be honest and say that I don’t like Sergio Martinez as a boxer…he’s probably my least favorite fighter and this is the reason why my father is a boxing trainer and his name Robert Garcia. NO, not the disappointing Antonio Margarito’s Robert Garcia, but my pops Robert Garcia who learned from the best, Sacramento, California trainer, Don Conley, who happen to lead my uncle, Loreto Garza to be the WBA Light Welterweight Champ in the late 80, early 90’s. My brother Joel Garcia was also an amateur and now is a trainer as well.
Now the reason I am explaining this is because being around my dad, Don, my brother and others allowed me to witness fighters train, spar, and do their roadwork etc… I would first see the day boxers that had no experience to boxers that have been training for years, amateurs and professionals. I myself, trained as well. My dad sometimes would ask me to teach some of the beginners how to hit the speed bag, heavy bag, and do some of the boxing exercises (I HATED doing this) which gave me a different insight. So let’s go over the first day at the gym:
You look in the mirror and start out with your stance (the way you stand), hands up and throwing the jab, combinations, one’s and two’s, bending your knees to then advancing week by week continuing what you’ve learned the first day to then shifting left and right, practicing quickness, bending your knees, more jabs, combinations, hooks, etc,…ALL at once. Then of course, the main training which includes, shadow boxing, heavy bag, speed bag, jump rope, and sparring are just a few things to prepare to fight. So now with all that said, back to Martinez and my whole point of explaining all of this.
It is obvious that Sergio Martinez trains and does his roadwork and you can tell because he doesn’t look tired in the ring. He DOES have the power and quickness; I will give him that, BUT ALL the other things I mentioned EARLIER, he doesn’t seem to do…THE BASICS. There is a reason they don’t start you out sparring the first day, am I right? I don’t hate Sergio Martinez, but he’s beginning to be OVER overrated to me as far as 2010 fighter of the year that is. Hanging out watching fights with my dad and brother, all they do is critique every fight and now. I find myself doing the same thing. I can tell what should be thrown, where the person should get hit, how it seems the left hand usually goes down often with a lot of fighters and how many times I notice the body shot usually ends up being wide opened. Maybe I notice all these flaws in Martinez, because as NOW you can probably tell, I am VERY critical when watching a boxer fight. FIGHTER OF THE YEAR is for 2010 ONLY and I think a lot of people are looking at his WHOLE career, not this one year, for example a conversation I had with Ignacio Solorio, a former Sacramento, Jr. Middleweight Pro Boxer that my dad and Conley trained. He, like the other 8947589734857 people that I’ve spoke to, believe that Martinez deserves fighter of the year. However Solorio, when debating with me, seemed to talk about Martinez’s career, which did not happen to start earlier last year, January 2010. Shout out to my gym brother, Ignacio!…but you are WRONG brother!..aha. So to end this…..again, one easy fight and a 2nd round knockout DOESN’T give you fighter of the year!….It’s bull if you ask me.
Rachel’s Random Rants
- I finally seen The Fighter and MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN isn’t Mark Wahlberg the most delicious actor ever!?! He’s such a beautiful boxer and he is really a boxing fan and embraced his part. For any boxing movie, I would have to give credit to. Watching a movie like this, I paid attention to other things rather than watching a typical movie. It’s kind of like watching a fight where you aren’t watching it for pleasure, but really critiquing the boxers. There’s a lingo a boxing person pays attention to that a non boxing person would not notice. I liked the movie (because of the view obviously..ha!), but one thing that did bother me was that the action scenes didn’t seem realistic looking. Anyways…Good Movie! One of my favorite fights has to be Mickey Ward and Arturo Gatti. =)
- First of all can I say Thank God for RERUNS…can I get an Amen!?! While waiting for the premier of ESPN Friday Fight Fights, I saw a fight that was shown on August 13, 2010, with Joseito Lopez against Marvin Cordova. GOOD fight!…my type of fight to watch. Lopez is being added as a new favorite of mine. I have never seen him fight before…love his technique…he threw combinations…upper cuts and body shots. This is probably a BoxingIQ first, “BODY SHOTS are Sexy and uppercuts too” 😉 ………………(HEY!…I AM A GIRL!)
- STUPID NCAA College Football!!! So when the ESPN Friday Night Fights start at SEVEN(pacific time)…and your freaking game is still on, I don’t care that you have 6 minutes remaining of your game…END IT!!! Don’t EVER do that again!!!
- Season depute ESPN? That’s bull! It’s a fact that there are fights practically every single weekend! THERE IS NO SEASON FINALES IN BOXING!!!…
- Demetrius Andrade and Albert Herrera was a good fight, however it felt like I was watching an amateur fight. It was actually stated that Andrade had 200 amateur fights which is not bad at all, but he didn’t look like he had all that experience, however, he has great potential, but many flaws.
- Teddy Atlas and Joe Tessitore discussed if Andrade should change his trainer, which happens to be his father, Paul Andrade. Andrade has potential to be way more than he is now, but firing his father would be a bad idea. I would possibly add another coach if it was possible. Two coaches can be like two woman in the kitchen…TENSION!…and could be a bad idea, OR a great idea as long as each coach respects each others’ insight and works together since they have the same goal to win successful fights and make a champion.
- Not bad Andrade…all those power punches for 8 rounds straight and he didn’t seem like he was even tired!?! SEE KIDS…THIS IS WHY YOU DO YOU’RE ROADWORK…IT SHOWS AND PAYS OFF IN THE RING!
- Man…either Herrera can take a punch or Demetrius Andrade can’t hit hard. Herrera took a LOT and it didn’t seem to faze him at all!
- GREAT first fight of the year ESPN! It was obvious that Andrade won, but I LOVE Herrera’s heart!…he definitely didn’t give up! This was the first time seen both fighters and I look forward to seeing more from the both of them.
- Main event was a main event indeed! Ruslan Provodnikov and Mauricio Herrera gave a great performance!…exciting fight!
- Ruslan Provodnikov came in to the ring with a black eye. They said that he got it from sparring against bigger opponent. NOW that’s a BAD terrible idea! A boxer can get very injured doing something like that!
- DAAAAAAAAAANG, Herrera’s cut/swollen THING under his left eye was BAD and UGLY!!! Would the thing on your face “CLEARLY CLARIFY TO STOP DROPPING YOUR LEFT HAND!?!”…UGH, PUT YOUR HAND
- The Herrera Brothers. I LOVE MEXICAN FIGHTERS…ALL CORAZON!…All HEART!
- Mauricio Herrera is a true Warrior! He won a well deserved fight; but it was close. I commend Provodnikov as well…poor guy lost his belt.
- While Teddy Atlas was being interview, he was asked about Floyd Mayweather’s legal problems. He stated that some fighters that had legal problems in the past would fight just to pay their legal bills. Sorry to say, but I hope he’s right in this case. I (and I may be the only one) enjoy watching Mayweather fight and I want him to return to the ring!
- During the ESPN Friday Night Fights they did a 1-minute segment on MMA. SORRY… I don’t respect MMA and I DON’T have a minute and won’t WASTE a minute for MMA.
- Condolences to Mickey Ward and his family…his mom passed away last week. =(
- On the same night, Bernard Hopkins was interviewed and I believe he “kind of” called out Lucian Bute?!?…and then said, ”I want to wipe out all the Canadian fighters.” Ahahaa…LOVE that quote!
- “We LOVE comeback stories”, Hopkins speaks of Kelly Pavlik. I really like Hopkins, but more as a person than a boxer. He seems down to earth…a good guy with a good heart.
- Oh Lord not Chris Arreola in two weeks….UgH!!!
- THANK YOU ESPN for the Great fights!…(EXCEPT the 1 minute MMA, don’t’ EVER do that BULL sh*(#$ again! Thank You!)
- Later, later, later, laaater on the same night, Solo Boxeo showed the Don Chargin/Golden Boy fight from Farfield, California. The first fight was from two fighters from Mexico, Cristian Favela and Luis Sanchez. The fight started out slow, but was entertaining.
- Someone by the name of Cristian Favela didn’t do his roadwork…………………….he looked a bit sloppy too.
- HA! The lights kept flickering on and off during the fight! Did GOLDEN BOY forget to PAY THE BILL?
- On the same card, the main event was Sacramento, California’s own Brandon Gonzales against Lester Gonzalez and Brandon took the WIN!
- MAN! Brandon got handsome but as far as him fighting, he did good. MUCH improvement! Watching him as an amateur, I was never really impressed and thought he was overrated. I’m glad he improved especially because I’m ALL for supporting my hometown Sacramento Boxers!
- Hmmm, Brandon… Jeff Mayweather as your trainer? I’m impressed, good for you!
- So watching Brandon, I noticed he dropped his left frequently when he threw the right. Some of his punches were wide and he seemed like a he fought better on the inside than the outside. Lester caught Brandon with a LOT of punches, but really didn’t seem to do anything.
- EVEN SEEING A PROMO FOR FRANKIE GOMEZ next Friday night MADE ME SCREAM!……….HE’S SO CUTE!…I LOVE HIM!!!!!
- Kelly Pavlik was released from rehab this past week and wants to return to the ring. I think it’s a great thing for him…one step at a time! Bob Arum states he would give Pavlik a spot under the crappie Manny Pacquiao/Shane Mosely undercard if he was ready. Pavlik has been training while in rehab, so he seems very motivated! I wish him the best and look forward to his return!
- Chad Dawson is now being trained by Emanuel Steward. I think this is a great move! Steward did wonders with Miguel Cotto, so I’m excited what he will do with Dawson.
- A fight that “maybe” in the works is Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez. I haven’t seen Morales fight in a while…all I know is that they are both Mexican Fighters (from Mexico) so that means we would see a war!…LOVE IT! And I don’t want to hear anything about Morales being past his prime. Usually the overweight writers that have never stepped in a ring are the ones to say this bull!
- Jean Pascal and Bernard Hopkins may be having that rematch! I don’t know. I want a winner determined, to know the outcome, but I don’t want to see this fight happen ALL OVER AGAIN. Does that make sense?
- The homeowners association wants a judge to order that Mayweather follow rules and stop threatening their employees. He has a trial coming up soon where he could face up to 34 years in prison. =( 34 years is TOO much but serving SOME time should give him time to think…kind of like a “long” time out!
- I’m sorry, but am I the only one that hears about the Evander Holyfield and Sherman Williams fight and thinks about the Sherman Williams Paint Store Company!?!…ha! yes, corny, I know!
- WLADIMIR KILISCHKO…FREAKING FIGHT WHOEVER ALREADY!!!…JUST FIGHT SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO BEAT YOU AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!
- Is it me or is Saul “Canelo” Alvarez make it cool to have red hair and freckles?!? HA!