By: Rachel Garcia
THE YEAR OF THE DRAW? Okay, I’m over exaggerating…no not a year, but for the past two weeks, we’ve had two draws, Lamont Peterson/Victor Ortiz and now Bernard Hopkins/Jean Pascal. The bout with Ortiz and Peterson, no doubt deserved a draw, but Hopkins and Pascal?!?…COME ON MAN!!!
- Now speaking of the Hopkins/Pascal Fight, THAT WAS DEFINTELY NOT A DRAW! The fight could have went either way, but it definitely should not been a draw. Pascal could have won because of the two knockdowns, but then again, Hopkins did win the majority of the remaining rounds. Actually, they were both robbed…and so were WE!!!
- When men or woman get challenged for a fight, they each react in a different way. Woman may take off their earrings, perhaps put their hair in a pony tail…Men, may take off their watch or not do anything but put up their dukes and are ready to fight. Now Bernard Hopkins, well….he puts his teeth in his mouth!…Aahahahaa!…He’s SO funny!
- It would have been nice if Bernard Hopkins would have taken his execution “thingy” off his face for the “before the fight” interview.
- “I can’t respect you until the fight is over!”-Bernard Hopkins…BEST Quote of the Night!
- Can someone please tell or BUY Glen Johnson an outfit that matches?!?…Thank you.
- “Ding, ding, ding, ding…school is in.”- Antonio Tarver…Second Best Quote of the Night!
- I am SICK and TIRED of everyone bringing up age. Age means nothing. It depends on health and training. I see MANY boxers who are at a YOUNGER age and they are horrible! Bernard Hopkins proved last night that age means nothing! Juan Manuel Marquez would also be another “mature” fighter who proves the whole age thing is incorrect. It shouldn’t be mentioned, and is not an issue!
- Are you serious Showtime!?!…You give us ONE fight for the night?…not even at least one undercard?!?! ………and this is another reason why HBO Boxing completely overpowers YOU!
- Okay, so the HIT of the night had to be the one with “someone’s head vs. the camera”. Too bad they didn’t judge that one….oh never mind, it would have been a DRAW anyways…
- Did Jim Gray say Hopkins won because that’s what he truly felt or was he scared?! I don’t know. As a commentator or someone who interviews the fighters, I feel that you shouldn’t choose sides, but I don’t know…when he interviewed Pascal he did state the facts about the numbers…the numbers that stated that Hopkins clearly overpowered Pascal with punches throughout the fight.
Were the judges hating on Hopkins and didn’t want to give him the historical win that would have made him known for being the oldest champion in history?…Hmmmm?
- So Ricardo Mayorga wants to fight Manny Pacquiao…get in line Mayorga!…So does everybody else.
- Who will fight Manny Pacquiao next? Between Andre Berto, Juan Manuel Marquez, and Shane Mosley……and the winner is Shane Mosely. UGH! This is stupid and a waste of a fight! This is ALMOST as stupid as Sergio Mora and Shane Mosely! Can someone tell me what kind of challenge Mosely would be for Pacquiao?…NOTHING!…Mosley has something to prove, Pacquiao doesn’t. I don’t believe Berto is ready, but he is hungry and does want it badly. Marquez, well, he literally won over Pacquiao before, and would definitely be a challenge for Pac, but I don’t know if he would win. Pac is not the same Pac as before… he’s better.
- Don King stopped in Ohio with ammunition!…WHAT!…and get this, not only was he stopped, but that was pretty much it. He was stopped, the guns were taken away, and he then was let go to continue his trip. Now what is wrong with this picture? Yes, money talks, but he should be getting SOME type of consequence!?!
- Floyd Mayweather misses court date. Floyd Mayweather is issued a warrant. Floyd Mayweather gets arrested. Floyd Mayweather is out on bail. I’m so sadden by this. He seems like a rebellious kid and very troubled…but for what? He’s not a kid…he’s a man, with children and needs to set an example for them and also, he is one of the greatest boxers ever. Regardless how he acts and what he says, I wish him the best and I hope he figures things out.
- So I guess there is a possibility that Khan’s next opponent could be Victor Ortiz??? WHAT FOR? You’re out of his league KHAN!!! You proved a lot with the fight with Maidana, which deserves a rematch, but you are supposed to be going up, not down, meaning the fight with Ortiz would be pointless.
- Khan wants Mayweather…………….HA! Keep dreaming kid!!!
- So HBO put out their “2010 Boxing Awards” and I HAVE to disagree with many of their choices stated below:
- Fighter of the Year: Sergio Martinez. So can I ASK WHY he would win???…what is it that he did this year besides win Kelly Pavlik and knock out Paul Williams in the second round? Um, I DON’T know, but I TOTALLY disagree with this one!!!
- Fight of the Year: Juan Manual Marquez/Michael Katsidis. I also disagree with this. No doubt this was a great fight this year, but even though Marquez got knocked down, we all knew throughout the fight that he was going to win. Fight of the year should be a fight where both boxers are throwing punches, maybe a few knockdowns or almost a knockdown from either fighter, and finally, watching a fight where you HAVE to watch all 12 rounds and wait for the decision at the end because either fighter could take the win home. So which fight would that describe?…well AMIR KHAN/MARCOS MAIDANA of COURSE!!!
- Rookie of the Year: Brandon Rios…ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME????!!!??? I have never seen this guy fight or knew who he was until HBO’s 24/7, you know, when he was running his mouth about Antonio Margarito giving Pacquiao a beating…and also, even though he won against the fight with Anthony Peterson after taking the fight within a weeks’ notice, but it wasn’t like Peterson was much of a challenge. ALSO Rios looked over WEIGHT?…like a blob blobbing around the ring??!!!..SO I TOTALLY disagree with this!…this is CRAP! Rookie of the year should go to Oscar De La Hoya’s new prospect Frankie Gomez. Now, he has been fighting practically every month or so. He’s an undefeated, hungry fighter that speaks with his fists and not with his mouth.
- Upset of the Year: Jason Litzau/Celestino Caballero. Sooo, this was an upset for who that is? Caballero is CRAP. Litzau deserved the win! Caballero is BEYOND overrated!!!
- Positive Trend of the Year: Stadium Fights. I’m not sure what this even means…well not that I don’t know what it means…but WHO CARES!?! And if you ask me, I don’t like these stadium fights especially if they involve Bob Arum. I DO NOT want to see a show! I want to see a BOXING FIGHT…not a concert, not cheerleaders singing…nothing beats Las Vegas, MGM Grand, and The Mandalay Bay!
- Boxing Ambassador of the Year: Manny Pacquiao. I agree!
- Round of the Year: Floyd Mayweather Jr./Sugar Shane Mosely, Round 2. I agree…Mayweather almost went down!!!…but why did Mosely not do anything after that? I don’t know. So even though I agree, the rest of the fight was CRAP, which I think we would all agree. That had to be the fight that from that point on, made me completely disappointed with Mosley regardless of his past fights. Nothing to do with age, but he NEEDS to retire!
- Knockout of the Year: Sergio Martinez KO to Paul Williams. I agree!
- Gutsiest effort of the Year: Amir Khan (vs. Marcos Maidana). I agree! Even though I was going for Maidana for this fight, Khan did prove, mainly during the 10th round that he has heart and can take a punch. He was close to losing, but got the win and proved it. My concern with Khan is that it’s all going to go to his head…actually, it seems like it already has.
- Weirdest Ending of the Year: Paul Williams/Kermit Cintron. YES, I agree? And I really don’t know what to say after that. That kind of speaks for itself.