By: Anthony “Zute” George
- I do not know about you guys, but I am sick and tired of people saying boxing is dying. Even some people who get paid from the sport feel this way. If you really feel that way, get out of the job, and make room for those who still believe in the game.
- Peter Manfredo Jr. and Daniel Edouard gave us a pretty good scrap on Friday Night Fights. Edouard went out on his shield and Manfredo jr. gets a solid W. Did anyone else think Edouard was fooled by the referee calling ‘break’? The announcers sure did not seem to think so. They never mentioned it. Teddy Atlas was too busy falling in all with his analysis of Edouard staying to close for comfort coming true? Did it really come true through? In my opinion Manfredo’s terrific knockdown gets an assist from the referee. This fight definitely speaks volumes for how important ‘protect yourself at all times’ really is. You never know when you are going to have a referee ask for a break then just walk away from the fighters.
- With Oscar Buzz in the air I have to say Chinatown is the most overrated movie of all time!!!
- Whitman Mayo was an icon.
- Steve Cunningham was supposed to fight this weekend. Unfortunately the fight is delayed – hopefully, not for too long. Cunningham is a great talent and a smart man. He is smart because he took his act overseas, were the boxing fans are more knowledgeable, and more appreciative of great talent. Let’s face it, as talked about on Friday’s edition of Zutes Boxing Talk, America is a nation of idiots. That is why we think boxing is dying, because we are dumb. How else can you explain Golf being more popular than boxing? Or electing a man who says “these internets” twice? Maybe once, depending on whom you ask.
- Evander Holyfield is all over the place promoting his PPV showdown this weekend with Sherman Williams. How can boxing be dying if The Real Deal can get a spot on “Good Day All Day”? A more important question is if these shows will respect the game and give these spots to Devon Alexander and Timothy Bradley the week of their big showdown. Something tells me they won’t and that is a shame.
- If I need to provide any more evidence boxing is not dying, Winky Wright is making a comeback, ‘nuff said!